Saturday, January 23, 2010

Lavender Apple Chutney

LavenderLike most chefs I have ingredients that I love to use more than others in my cooking. Chili Peppers, Fruits, and Edible Flowers are components I use in many of my favorite dishes. It was rather early in my career that I became fascinated in the use of flowers in cooking.I had little exposure to that type of cooking as a child but fell in love with their use quickly. I was lucky enough to be working in California when the use of edible flowers into our cuisine resurged. Here is a wonderful recipe that goes nicely on Pork, or Chicken.

Lavender Apple Chutney

2 Cups Apple Cider
1 ½ Cups Light Brown Sugar
1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
1 Each Cinnamon Stick
1 Each Star Anise
½ Cup Red Onion, Diced
1 Each Jalapeno Pepper, Seeded and Minced
2 Cups Granny Smith Apples, Peeled, Seeded, and Diced
½ Cup Lavender Flowers, Chopped
½ Cup Red Bell Pepper, Diced
¼ Cup Sun Dried Blueberries
¼ Cup Golden Raisins
½ Teaspoon Lemon Juice
Salt& Pepper To Taste

Heat Olive Oil in Non- Aluminum sauce Pan. Add Cinnamon Stick, and Star Anise. Sauté until Cinnamon stick begins to uncurl, then add diced Red Onion. Add Brown Sugar, Jalapeno, Cider Vinegar, and Apple Juice to pan. Reduce until Syrup starts to form. Add all remaining ingredients, and reduce heat to a low simmer. Stir frequently to avoid burning.

No comments:

Post a Comment