Monday, March 15, 2010

Chicken Korma

Chicken Korma on FoodistaChicken Korma
One of the biggest things taking place in the culinary world today is the emergence of Indian cuisine to the forefront. It's no wonder with the bold flavor profiles, fresh ingredients, and exotic origins that Indian cuisine is taking the world by storm.
I've been fortunate enough to become close friends with many of the interns from this part of the world who have come to America to study the Industry. While the Indian influence in the hospitality industry is nothing new, over the past few years I've noticed an increase of those studying to become chefs. I've been fascinated to have the ability to share techniques on equal footing with many of these interns. While I've instructed them in the preparation of many American, and classical European techniques I've benefited from their ability to instruct me in the authentic preparation of Indian cuisine.
One of my favorite dishes is chicken korma. korma literally translates from the Hindi word meaning "braise". Served with Basmati rice, and warm Tandoori Naan bread this dish is one of my favorites.

Chicken Korma
1 Whole chicken, Cut into 8 pieces
2 Cups Plain Yogurt
3 Cloves Garlic , Minced
2 White Onions, Sliced very thin
1 Teaspoon Paprika
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Dried Chili - (Additional Chili may be added based upon desired heat level)
1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
2 Teaspoons Fresh Ginger, Minced
2 Teaspoons Coconut Oil
2 Teaspoons Ground Coriander Seed
Seeds of 2 peeled Green Cardamom Pod
1 Teaspoon Poppy seeds
1 Teaspoon Ground Turmeric
1 Curry Leaf
2 Tablespoons Fresh Cilantro( Coriander), Chopped
Salt & Pepper To Taste

Steps:

Place chicken in bowl and marinate in yogurt, 1/3 of garlic, half an onion, paprika, ginger, salt and pepper for a several hours.
Heat oil in large heavy Dutch Oven ; gently sauté remaining onion and garlic for 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
Add to Dutch Oven the coriander, chili, cumin, cardamom seeds, poppy seed and turmeric. Fry for a few minutes. Add the chicken, and brown on both sides.. Pour enough water to cover and add remaining marinade.
Add onion, garlic and curry leaf. Simmer 30- 45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Garnish the chicken korma with fresh coriander and serve.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love making and eating Indian food. I have been wanting to make Chicken Korma for a long time now and this looks like the perfect recipe! I am excited to make this- I will let you know how it goes an hopefully post it on my blog. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, I am looking forward to making this dish. There are quite a few recipes on your blog that I am excited about. Your approach is very fresh and I will follow with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are going to see a larger presence of Indian Cooking!

    ReplyDelete